Thursday, May 22, 2008

Cans and bottles hurt me...

Today in AP Biology, we sorted cans and bottles after finishing a movie we watched. If you are one of the more than 51,000 people that work in the same corporation as myself, this probably sounds familiar. I work for Hy-Vee. This means that our little job of sorting came pretty easily to me as I recognized the familiar signs of can shed bags and too many bottles to count.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate having a job that will give me more hours during the summer and a leave of absence during the school year. However, like most people, I'm not exactly looking forward to going back after school ends. For the most part, my job at customer service isn't so bad as high school jobs go.

However, I am not a fan of the bottle return policy. If people were not often disgusting, I would be perfectly fine with it (normally, I think it is a good idea as it encourages people to recycle). But the cans are often sticky, crushed, hairy, not empty or just plain dirty. We actually are recommended to wear gloves from the health hazard they cause. That's not a good sign.

Anyway, it was just a reminder that I must go back to the world of work soon. But at least I get paid.

2 comments:

Tim said...

The cooler Hy-Vee has people that specifically do that instead of making customer service do it.

Either way, I'm glad I'm not working there this summer. =)

Kristine said...

Yay Hy-Vee!

It is cold in this lab. WTF??!?! It is usually warm in ALL computer labs!!! I am not happy. This was going to be basically my only warm class of the day! WHY DID I WEAR A DRESS ON THE DAY ALL MY TEACHERS DECIDE TO FREEZE ME?!?!