Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Henry VIII

I just finished reading a book called The Wives of Henry VIII. This may sound like an unusual choice, but it might make more sense if I explain how I became interested in the subject. This beginning came when I saw The Other Boleyn Girl with my mom in theaters. This is the story of Anne Boleyn, the second wife of a king who divorced/killed five of his six wives. So the movie made me wonder what actually happened in history since Henry VIII is one of the more bizarre tales in history. My mom had started reading this book a while back and lent it to me.

All in all, the book was pretty interesting. Usually my nonfiction books are more limited to David Sedaris and Sarah Vowell so this was uncommon for me. But the subject itself is obviously one that it is hard to make dull and the writing was good anyway. But I guess the biggest thought that occurred to me while reading the book is that Henry VIII became extremely fat. Don't think chubby, think morbidly obese. I understand that he had power and wealth, but how do you force yourself to be attracted to such a man? Especially when the guy wasn't exactly a sweetheart. I mean, who decides to let their daughter be courted by a man who has a history of tantrums and cutting off his wives's heads? Very weird.

No comments: