Thursday, May 22, 2008

The seniors are gone

Yesterday was the seniors' last day of school. It may be strange that I am taking such a note of this since I am a junior, but it feels very weird with them gone. There are the few reasons.

#1: My boyfriend is a senior. So now he is making that first step towards leaving the high school where I get to see him every day to a strange and mysterious place that is much closer to the "real world." The fact that he has already left school means that he is that much closer to graduating and leaving for Egypt in about two weeks. It's really exciting that he gets to go to another country and then off to college, but it will be very weird not to see him. We've been dating for almost 2 1/2
years and during that time, I've seen him at least multiple times a week. So that's weird to think about.

#2: It makes me realize that my senior year is very close. It seems like I just started my junior year with new hopes and goals and soon I will have to edit those goals for my senior year. And there are all these "lasts" coming up: last football season, last homecoming dance, last basketball season, last prom, last Mock Trial competition...It doesn't seem like that long ago that I started high school thinking that it was just like the teenage movies (it's not, by the way, especially if you are like me). And then there's the prospect of preparing for college. I don't even know what I want to do when I graduate, just that I'm interested in biology. I don't have any idea what college I'd like to go to either. That's a lot of uncertainty.

Either way, the hallways seem less crowded and noisy with the seniors gone. This means a lot of changes for my class and myself, which is scary but also very exciting. Hopefully we will have a great year/summer and will fulfill the idea of the rock in front of our school: "no regrets."

No comments: